Passion Projects: Bathroom Painting and Redecorating

My students worked on several passion projects. All of the projects were designed to leave a legacy and to boost school spirit. Two of the groups decided to fix up the middle school bathrooms. They wrote proposals using google classroom, and a proposal template. They worked on these every Friday for months. I kept giving them areas they needed to improve. They had to itemize the materials they would need and give a cost estimate. They also secured donations. Once the proposals were finalized, they needed to present them to the principal. He gave them feedback and changes that needed to be made. They went back to work. Once they were approved by the principal, they needed to set up a meeting with our business administrator and maintenance department. They then waited for approval. Once that was secured, we set up work sessions during the weekends. That was one of the stipulations. The students must use their own time to do the actual work.
We met on a Saturday and Sunday and were able to get all the painting completed. The stickers they chose for the walls were not in yet. They arrived a week later. We stayed after school and put up all the stickers. Now, just to be clear, there were numerous class sessions that were used to decide the final colors and the sayings for the walls. This was not an easy task. They learned about compromise and that they could not get every item they wanted. I think the final product was absolutely incredible. I do not think they will ever forget this one! Here are before and after pictures of their work!

After PaintingAfter PaintingFinal TouchesstickersStickersstickersStickersstickersBoysBoysBoysBoys

cindy leatherwood